Pages

Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Help

I’m a little different. I’ve always been a little different and always will. So it comes to no surprise to me that I was not in love with “The Help”. I know it’s all the rage and I wish I was in love with it the way every one else was but I would be lying to myself if I said as much... and that is not an option. I kept asking myself what makes a good movie?

The movie was beautifully shot, the cinema photography was fantastic, the acting was phenomenal, plus it was emotionally stirring. By all those accounts it's a great movie. But if someone asked did me if I enjoyed it? No, I didn’t... So why didn’t I?

It was hard to watch. I am so very thankful that I’ve never experienced true racism. I was raised in a world where it’s not only frowned upon but outright illegal. Aside from racism the movie did a fantastic job displaying all the other issues of the time period… the lack of communication and the requirement to be like your peers just to name a few.

I am aware of the issues that went on at the time and that’s not something I want to “relive”. Life is full of enough drama and bad things. I don’t want to watch them on the big screen. When I go to a movie I want to be entertained with a positive experience.

Personally I want the positive end of the movie to out way the negatives and I have to say for me the ends didn't justify the means in this movie. How could they though? That wasn't the time period and it wasn't until years later that any real change had taken place.

I could ramble all night and I'll spare you from that. There were some good things that happened in the movie and I'm glad it was made because... "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it" however this girl is well aware and doesn't need to be reminded.

Katie

2 comments:

  1. That's a really good point. And I agree- it's part of the reason I don't love movies about the Holocaust (Hello Schindler's List...). I haven't been to see the movie- I really want to like it but am not sure it will live up to expectations I have after reading the book, which I did enjoy. SO thanks for this. It's a good perspective. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenn I really appreciate your comment, more then you'll ever know. I've felt really alone in this with the world raving about it. My intent was not to offend of hurt any ones feelings.

    ReplyDelete